- Is effected from 1-st January 2012
- Applies to ships of 300 gross tonnage or more
- Flying a flag of EU Member State, or
- Flying a flag other than EU Member State and entering a port under the EU Member State's jurisdiction
- Lays down
- name of ship, her IMO number and port of registry
- shipowner’s name and principal place of business
- type and duration of the insurance
- name and principal place of business of the insurer and the place of this certificate issue
The ships shall have on their board the certificate confirming the cover of maritime claims subject to limitation under the 1976 Convention on Limitation of Liability for Maritime Claims, as amended by the 1996 Protocol.
If the certificate is not carried on board, the port authority may issue an expulsion order to the ship.
As a result of the issuing of such an expulsion order, every EU Member State shall refuse entry of this ship into any of its ports until the shipowner notifies the certificate requested.